Auckland waterfront light rail

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: Auckland waterfront light rail

Postby KiwiRob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Daniel wrote::?: Is this from experience in the 1950's?

No, over the last 4 years of living and working in Europe.

Daniel wrote:Maybe you should stay in better accommodation? such as ones that can afford double-glazed windows, what you'd expect in a cold country like Norway.

If only you knew what the cost of a hotel room in Oslo was you wouldn't make a uninformed statement like that.
KiwiRob
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby ka9102 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:31 pm

drosophila wrote:A single articulated bus can accomodate a total of 97 (44+1 Seated, 52 Standing)

EVEN our good old Auckland articulated buses can accommodate a total of 130 adult passengers.

What is a modern articulated bus like?

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Nov05/30MercedesUrbanBus.html

For the first time at MOT 2005, Mercedes has released details of a prototype they're calling the "CapaCity," a 19.54 meter urban bus capable of carrying up to 193 passengers.

To give you an idea of how big that is, the Mercedes Citaro G, currently the largest bus in the Mercedes lineup, measures a mere 18 meters, and can hold up to 150 passengers.

Despite the increased length, the CapaCity is able to negotiate traffic as well as the Citaro G. Thanks to four axles (two of which are turning), as well as a single articulation joint, the CapaCity has a turning radius of 22.85m, the same as the Citaro G. The two buses also have identical swing-out values and cornering-track widths

Click to view full size
Infratil is owned by the The Reserve Bank of New Zealand

FREE Riggles NOW!!!!!
ka9102
Epic Bus Foamer

Location: QEII Square under the stainless-steel Wind Tree or KOF '96 at hollywood arcade

Postby ka9102 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Nick R wrote:I'm not sure you can call a double or even single articulated bus 'standard' by any means. A standard bus has no articulations and hold about 40-60 people.

Nick, articulated buses have becpome "standard" in Europe.and a rigid bus with no articulations can SEAT 40-60.

FREE Riggles NOW!!!!!
ka9102
Epic Bus Foamer

Location: QEII Square under the stainless-steel Wind Tree or KOF '96 at hollywood arcade

Postby Nick R » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am

Thats nice for Europe, but it certainly doesn't mean they are standard in New Zealand.
I should still listen to Doloras.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby duddley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am

would be good to have some of these for dominion rd
Duddley for Mayor!!!
duddley
Railfan

Postby Nick R » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 am

Yeah, I particularly like the four double doors per side, that would require a new ticketing system to be any use though.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby john-ston » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:26 pm

duddley wrote:would be good to have some of these for dominion rd

It might work if the Dominion Road buses were re-routed down Ian McKinnon Drive (which I personally think would be a good thing either way), although I can foresee problems if the current route were kept.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm

KiwiRob wrote:No, over the last 4 years of living and working in Europe.
Is this the first completely honest part of your story?
KiwiRob wrote:If only you knew what the cost of a hotel room in Oslo was you wouldn't make a uninformed statement like that.
If only you knew what I know.
If you're living in Oslo and staying in a hotel room (instead of a residential apartment) then you are either;
1) Earning a lot of money and staying in a proper hotel - which would have double glazed windows that would block out the street noise including the tram screech you're exaggerating.
2) Living in a backpackers hostel.

When I went to Oslo I stayed in a B&B that was 90 Krone a night (which was then about 6 GBP). And it was properly insulated with double-glazed windows.
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like it when posters here seem to be impugning the professionalism or even the good faith of PT planners and staff, and I wish that wasn't allowed on this forum" - Doloras.
Daniel
Certified Trainspotter

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

ka9102 wrote:Nick, articulated buses have becpome "standard" in Europe.
That's funny. I don't remember seeing too many...
"I don't like it when posters here seem to be impugning the professionalism or even the good faith of PT planners and staff, and I wish that wasn't allowed on this forum" - Doloras.
Daniel
Certified Trainspotter

Postby drosophila » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 am

Daniel wrote:

They're pretty standard in Switzerland (Zurich at least) and there they're introducing double bendy buses on several routes, it's worth noting that on routes that require double bendys they plan to upgrade to trams.
drosophila
Railfan

Postby drosophila » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 am

ka9102 wrote:Nick, articulated buses have becpome "standard" in Europe.and a rigid bus with no articulations can SEAT 40-60.

The new buses NZBus are getting can only seat 37 which makes them pathetically small IMO considering many Auckland bus routes can't handle the number of riders as it is. It's really time AT looked to either force NZBus to buy articulated buses or planned for light rail.

The 120 Enviro200s will be two-door, air-conditioned 11.3m buses capable of carrying 55 passengers (37 seated and 18 standees). They will be powered by Euro 5 Cummins ISBe six-cylinder engines with Allison T280R transmissions.
drosophila
Railfan

Postby Daniel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 am

drosophila wrote:
Daniel wrote:

They're pretty standard in Switzerland (Zurich at least)...
Yeah but Zurich is merely one small city on the entire continent.
Daniel
Certified Trainspotter

Postby dpalenski » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:52 am

drosophila wrote:
ka9102 wrote:Nick, articulated buses have becpome "standard" in Europe.and a rigid bus with no articulations can SEAT 40-60.

The new buses NZBus are getting can only seat 37 which makes them pathetically small IMO considering many Auckland bus routes can't handle the number of riders as it is. It's really time AT looked to either force NZBus to buy articulated buses or planned for light rail.

The 120 Enviro200s will be two-door, air-conditioned 11.3m buses capable of carrying 55 passengers (37 seated and 18 standees). They will be powered by Euro 5 Cummins ISBe six-cylinder engines with Allison T280R transmissions.

Those buses are most likely to replace smaller buses like the 500,600,700 series (MAN 11.190) and maybe 1200 and 1800 (Nissan's) on routes where loads aren't that big.The Scania's are put on high patronage routes but are sometimes wasted on lower patronage one's like the 843,913 on the North Shore and other's around Auckland.
Oh Sun you grow my food and you kill my enemies, your totality worth the skin cancer - Son Goku

The Gray ghost,Iron paw strikes again!! - The Dog
dpalenski
Railfan

Postby eurokiwi78 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 am

How many can the NEX seat?
car free for over a year
eurokiwi78
Certified Trainspotter

Postby ka9102 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:36 am

drosophila wrote:The new buses NZBus are getting can only seat 37 which makes them pathetically small IMO considering many Auckland bus routes can't handle the number of riders as it is. It's really time AT looked to either force NZBus to buy articulated buses or planned for light rail.

these buses will be used mainlyon those routes with less passenger demand,such as railway/busway feeders,local shoppers,or even crosstown services.they will not see sevices on any of those busy corridor routes.

eurokiwi78 wrote:How many can the NEX seat?

55 plus 28 standees.
Last edited by ka9102 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

FREE Riggles NOW!!!!!
ka9102
Epic Bus Foamer

Postby ka9102 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

duddley wrote:would be good to have some of these for dominion rd

would be good to see some of these on the NEX.

FREE Riggles NOW!!!!!
ka9102
Epic Bus Foamer

Postby eurokiwi78 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

How about some London style Double Deckers on the NEX, they seat a few more than the existing ones?
car free for over a year
eurokiwi78
Certified Trainspotter

Postby john-ston » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 am

eurokiwi78 wrote:How about some London style Double Deckers on the NEX, they seat a few more than the existing ones?

Or indeed busier routes such as Dominion Road.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Nick R » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm

What are the dwell time implications of double deckers, presumably it slows them down a bit?

How tall are double deckers? Would the NEX have vertical clearance for them?
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby john-ston » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Nick R wrote:What are the dwell time implications of double deckers, presumably it slows them down a bit?

I imagine that with integrated ticketing and dual door operation, it would be no worse than the status quo (and probably better)
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

PreviousNext

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion